Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentine's Day

If you're on a diet you may not want to read this post.

Travis and I went out last night for Valentine's Day since it was his only day off this week - actually it was his only day off in the last 11 days. Anyway, we went to the Cheesecake Factory at the Summit. The Summit is a very trendy, upscale, outdoor Shopping Mall that was built on well, a summit. You can see the Appalachian Mountains in the distance while you shop at Barnes and Noble, Restoration Hardware, The Pottery Barn, etc. It's one of my favorite places to go. Well, I remembered that I visited The Cheesecake Factory several years ago during a visit to Atlanta. I didn't remember much about it except that it was dark and had great desserts so we decided to go to the one here.

Well, I wasn't disappointed at all with the atmosphere, it was very romantic. We had to wait for about an hour for a table but when you're in good company it doesn't matter much. What was a disappointment however was the food. The menu is incredibly extensive, I'd say more like overwhelming. They have appetizers (2 full pages), pizza's, burgers, pasta, chicken, steaks, breakfast, and brunch. Some of the things sounded good, like the burgers, but it wasn't really date food. The pasta didn't come in any combinations that I liked so I settled for a Caesar Salad. I must say that I prefer the Caesar Salad at Sam's Club. The dressing was tart or acidic, I don't really know how to describe it, and the chicken was dry and flavorless. I had the Mango Papaya iced tea and it wasn't great. Trav fared much better with the Raspberry Lemonade and with his orange chicken dish (that chicken was dry too). But the company, conversation, and atmosphere were fabulous. Now on to the desserts...

I chose, drumroll please, chocolate peanut butter cookie dough cheesecake. It was divine! And Trav chose the white chocolate raspberry truffle cheesecake. Again, it was fabulous! We have decided that next time we'll eat somewhere else and go there for dessert and cappuccino. They have at least 30 cheesecake choices and I can hardly wait to try them.

All the food aside, it was nice to have 4 whole hours out by ourselves. I love it when we can spend family time together, and right now that is scarce, but there is nothing like time alone with my husband.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Amy, I haven't been keeping up so I just caught up with the last few posts. As you probably know by now, I started an Oprah journal. It is much easier for me and it is enabling me to write to my daughter as well as discover and free myself to be who I am.

Anyway, reading your blog just gives me a tiny look into the Button lives. I guess that's what you intended. I have to be honest (can I?) and say that there is an ache in my heart where your family is concerned. I feel very much like the kid with her faced pressed against the window of the pet store looking at the puppies. I'm taking a risk here. I'm very much afraid of being misunderstood.

I mean I'm happy for all the good things that are taking place for all of you--Amanda making friends and experimenting with her looks, Chloe being the absolute cutie pie/big sister and the baby who is charming everyone just by being a baby! Travis is very devoted and protective of his family just as my husband is of his (good example, huh?). And I am very proud of your dedication to working out, being healthy and a great mother to your children!

I just wish I didn't feel so disconnected from all of you....

Mary said...

I cheated on my diet and read your blog. Actually...our last day of induction went pretty well, but I'll save that for my blog. We have never eaten at the cheesecake factory but have heard often of it's merit. We stayed near one in Atlanta and of course there's on in Tampa too, we just never got there. I'm so glad you guys had the opportunity to go it alone for a date and here's hoping you have many more opportunities.

Amy Button said...

It's great that you're journaling. I am blogging to keep connected to friends and family that live far away. It's not as good as being there but I'm determined to not lose touch with people.

I feel disconnected as well. It would help if we could visit more often. Hopefully soon....

Joyce said...

Just my two cents: Doug and I ate at the Cheesecake Factory several months ago and it was fabulous. I don't remember what we ate but it was pretty good and the cheesecake (pumpkin pecan) was scrumptious!)