Thursday, February 10, 2005

Stuff

I remember those last few weeks of pregnancy when I couldn't do much more than lay around and thinking "man I can't wait until I can work out again". There's just something about exercise and the feeling of really being alive, healthy, and strong. All those things that you don't feel when you're 9 months pregnant. I know some folks wouldn't agree with me. For instance, Amanda, during one of our walks informed me that she hates to sweat. I really don't understand that. I don't feel like I've done anything productive unless I'm dripping with sweat; yeah, that's kind of gross. But really I've always been active and I guess I equate exercise with that feeling of really being alive. Maybe I'm the exception rather than the rule though, I know lots of people that hate exercise. I think part of that is because it is difficult to actually "get into shape". Or it could be that if someone doesn't like exercise to begin with but does it anyway and then they don't see "supermodel" type results in just a few weeks then it is discouraging. It's much easier to give up something you don't like.

Anyway, the point is that I can exercise now and I feel fabulous. Today however, kicked my butt. I'm not exactly sure what makes one day more difficult to exercise than others but today was that day. When I say that day I mean it's the day that even though I've done the workout before and even though I've done it when I'm physically tired before today was different. Today was the day that my legs felt like lead, I had no coordination, and it pretty much just stunk. For everyone that has ever done exercise for any significant amount of time I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The only thing I can think of is a lack of sleep last night. I know I talk about being sleep deprived but for at least a week I've had plenty of sleep. And Halle didn't keep me up last night Travis did. He's been sick - again - with the flu and he kept waking me up. That's the only thing I can think of. Anyway, this is a very long dissertation on exercise because there is nothing else to write about. But for those of you that are interested I can recommend a couple of good work out DVD's.

I like Kathy Smith's "Fat Burning Breakthrough" because it has 2- 20 minute cardio workouts that you can break up over 2 days or do it all at one time. Between the 2 cardio sections it has some weight training so I feel like I get a really good overall workout. The instructor is not too annoying except for the occasional shrill "yeehooo"- that so annoys me.

I also like her "Lift Weights to Lose Weight" DVD. Again, it has 2- 20 minute segments one for upper body and one for lower and a short abs routine.

I have found that doing the weights workout relieves stress even better than the cardio routine.

Life is good. We're going to a new church consistently and Amanda is getting involved in the youth group. More on that later...

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh I can so agree and disagree with the whole exercise thing. I hate exercise in the form that you do it, but I love to feel that feeling that you're talking about. I like to sweat and feel that I've done something. I think that's the problem, I am addicted to instant results and when I exercise like work-out exercise I don't see it. I just feel tired. However, when I was regularly exercising and stayed very trim I got my exercise playing ball and in weight training classes. I was already doing something productive by being in class or by defeating the enemy who approached me on the softball field. Yes, I played to crush the opponent and did so regularly. Now...I have to take walks so I feel like I'm at least enjoying the environment outside or talking & hanging out with a friend. I try to do video's and I'm just bored. This is a long comment...maybe I should have put this in my own blog...sorry.

Amy Button said...

Don't worry about it, I like long comments. Yeah, it took me a few tries to find out what I really like before I could stick to exercise. I like to take walks sometimes, but I get bored quickly. I hate Yoga. It's so incredibly boring and I feel like I should be hugging a tree or something afterwards. Same with Pilates. I love the elliptical machine because you get a great workout and can watch TV or read while your exercising. I have to do weights videos though because I don't know enough about weight lifting to do an effective workout by myself. Unfortunately, since I don't have a gym membership I have to do step aerobics which is my second choice. It's easier than other aerobics classes in that there aren't really any dance moves. Since I'm not that coordinated it's a very good thing. Anyway, I said all that to say that if anybody is going to stick with exercise they have to find something they like.

Tisra said...

Weight training also speeds up weight loss. When you gain lean muscle tissue (and muscle is a living tissue that requires energy and circulation etc. whereas fat is just stored energy not living tissue) then you burn more calories at rest. (Yes, mini science lesson, I know)I still haven't hit the gym since Lael's birth, but when I lost weight from Dean's birth I saw great results when I paired weight lifting with the spin classes. Now that I'm just doing treadmill at home, I have found it all to be slower going.

Amy Button said...

I am doing weights at least 3 days a week now and have noticed a difference but not much on the scale :( I'm giving it time though; I know it doesn't happen overnight.