Monday, February 26, 2007

Well, I've posted some pics and we'll have to see if they turn out. The first one is of Chloe smashing Grant between the couch cushions for a sort of "Grant sandwich". The funny thing was that she was trying to get his attention but he wanted to watch a movie so he completely ignored her and she gave up and started watching the movie with him- good times.

We went to B'ham this weekend to visit with my Grandmother who is very ill. She's been sick for quite some time and we just found out that she's going to have to stay in a nursing home rather than going back to the assisted living facility that she'd been in. So Mom called and asked if we could help move Grandma's stuff and of course we said we could. So Saturday was a long day- so long in fact that we had to push our visit with Grandma back to Sunday. That meant no church on Sunday but this weekend was so rushed there really wasn't anything we could do about it. So we went to the nursing home Sunday afternoon (I picked up a cold/cough from the little boy I'm babysitting so Travis was kind enough to let me sleep in) and as we walked down the halls I felt so sad. It wasn't a dreary place, I was surprised by there message of hope on the wall and little prayer room. I remember as a child I was so excited anytime I knew we were going to visit Grandma and Grandpa. And one time my brother and I were out running errands with my Mom and Dad and when we got home we saw Grandma and Grandpa's car in front of our house. We started jumping up and down and asking if they were there and Mom and Dad acted coy saying, "I don't know I guess you'll have to look for them". So we ran around the house in a furious search and we finally found them in my brother's room. I remember being so excited. I know that my Grandparents weren't perfect and it's not like anybody in my family was "touchy-feely-so glad to see you I've missed you so much- i love you", etc. They were always happy to see us though and tried to stuff us full of pringles and Jello Pudding Pops. So I'm sad that this is where (barring divine intervention) my Grandmother is to finish out her life.

I was concerned that the girls might be afraid to talk to her or touch her but they weren't at all. Even finicky Halle jumped right into bed with her and gave her hugs. I really seemed to mean a lot to her. Chloe made a real connection with her when we saw her at Christmas. She hadn't ever talked to Grandma that much but she started talking her ear off- " I love you Grandma, you're so sweet, you're the greatest Grandma ever!" And really, who can't resist that? And I know that Grandma remembered it because she was dying to give Chloe a hug. She said "Chloe you're my little sweetie, aren't you? Grandma loves you" and that seems to be out of character for her. I'm so glad that Chloe could make a difference and bring her some happiness, she's such a precious child and seems to know that she can make anybody feel better. And she's so genuine in it- it's just who she is. I'm looking forward to seeing God use that trait even more in her life.

So after the nursing home we went back to Mom and Dad's for a feast fit for 5 hungry Buttons. Steak. Baked Potatoes. Homemade herb rolls. Homemade cheesecake, mmmmmmm. So we stuffed ourselves, said our goodbyes, and made the 3 hour trip home. Oh and unloaded the car- including the table and chair set of Grandma's- bathed two grubby tots, put the table back together, brushed two little sets of teeth, put two sleepy tots to bed and then followed our own bedtime ritual and were in bed just before 11 to start the week- whew! I actually thought I would be exhausted today but I feel pretty good. I'll post pics later of the new table set that I think I'm going to paint. But this week will be devoted to stripping wallpaper because I really want to get the house painted. More later....



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Mary said...

I see them...through my tears...but I do see the pictures. Reading about your memories of her and then the transition to this state in her life is so touching. Some changes in life are much harder than others. What a joy to have a little Chloe to brighten the whole thing up.

Tisra said...

Oh good. I'm not the only one crying here. I know that you and your family have touched your Grandma in a way that could not be accomplished by anyone else. Chloe truly has a sincere spirit, and I know that you and Travis will mold and guide her to the best use of her gift. And Halle?! Seriously God must have put a touch on her. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. (And I can't wait to see the furniture)

Anonymous said...

Okay I have been crying too..... I'm glad I'm not the only sap on here.... but seriously I know how you feel. My last visit to Lakeland my grandfather didnt know who I was and I sat in front of my mom and granny and cried. Old age just isnt fair! Those darling girls of yours are a tribute to what personality trait's have carried down from your grandma, mom, you, and now your precious girls! So sweet and full of life!

Amy Button said...

Thanks ladies. My Mom didn't comment but she cried too.

Tracy, I had no idea that your Grandad was in such bad shape. I remember playing at their house as a little girl and I thought they were soooo old back then ;) I'll pray for you and for your Granny- I miss her.