Saturday, February 03, 2007

Goodbye Old Friends

Isn't it silly how we humans get attached to things? This couch and chair were a gift to me from my parents when I graduated from college. They had only had them for about a year when they gave them to me and I remember going with my Mom to pick them out. We had actually picked a plaid couch and chair in jewel tones but it would have been 6 weeks before Mom could have gotten them and I guess she figured that Dad would make her cancel the order before then so time was of the essence. Now if she had gotten the sofa and chair that she wanted I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gotten this set so I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Oh and I suppose I should mention that Mom and Dad sat on lawn chairs for 6 months after I moved out.

This set followed me to my first rental house in Panama City. That house was so small that in the living room I had room to put one piece of furniture on each wall. So I had the couch on one wall, the chair on another, my piano on another and I squeezed the TV on the remaining wall. And I remember that sometimes on my off day I would lie on the couch with the window open and just relax. It felt very homey. This set is ugly for sure but it has traveled with us from place to place to place getting more beat up as time went on. It has been a place of comfort for me during pregnancies and sickness and a place to lie our sick kids.

And now we're inheriting another set from some dear friends so it's time for these to go. I'd considered putting these out on the curb since the city has a disposal service but I listed them on Craig's List for free and am selling the slipcovers for $75. I called a girl today that sounds like she's 18 and she and her husband will be the new owners. I'm hoping that this set will be a blessing to them- it surely has been a blessing to us. I suppose I'm not as sad about getting rid of the set as I am about the memories it represents. And I'm sure that one day it will end up on the curb, I'm just glad that I'm not the one to do it.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Joyce said...

It's funny but true that the older you get, the more sentimental you get about "things' that remind you of someone or of a particular time in your life.....

Mary said...

It's hard to believe the old set is gone. I'm very glad for you to get something newer though and I'm sure new memories and much comfort will be had.

Amy Button said...

It's funny that you should say that because the "new" set is just one year (or so) newer than our old set. It's just that it's a much better brand and has held up really well. It definitely makes me want to shell out the extra bucks for a better brand when we can actually go furniture shopping.