Monday, March 07, 2005

A Lovely Sunday!

Well, I'm not willing to commit to it yet, but it looks like Halle may be a thumb sucker. When I was growing up I always heard thumbsucking in derrogatory terms, but I think there are some advantages. The main one that I can think of is that Halle is able to comfort herself which means it is much easier to get her to sleep and stay asleep. You're probably wondering what in the world this has to do with a lovely Sunday, soooo....

I'd like to say that we went to church yesterday, that it was a lovely service, and then we did fun family stuff, but we didn't. Go to church, I mean. We did go to the Summit (except Amanda because she hates the Summit) and had a really nice time. It was a rare Sunny and warm day (it seems to rain all the time here) so we decided to take the little girls out. On a day like yesterday I prefer the Summit to any place else because it has the shops I like the most and it's outdoors. We picked out lots of things we liked from Pier 1 and especially Restoration Hardware. I didn't know until yesterday that Restoration Hardware sells paint already mixed, which for me is great because picking out paint colors ranks up there with acting. Fun but terrifying. I'm always scared I'm going to pick the wrong color and then it turns into an ordeal. They also have some great and incredibly well made furniture. Notice I said before that we picked out lots of things, not bought lots of things.

Oh, back to the thumb sucking. Halle has been sucking on her left hand for a while now. I make sure that when I swaddle her I leave her left hand free. But yesterday I decided to carry her in the backpack because it's easier to carry her than to maneuver the stroller in shops and she started sucking her thumb. It was so cute! She had her thumb in her mouth and the rest of her fingers over her face- with one finger in her eye. I have heard that it can be difficult to break them of sucking their thumbs, but she doesn't really like a pacifier. It's probably my fault because I never really pushed it. She would tolerate one for a while, but there are definite drawbacks to pacifiers as well. Since this is my third child and she sleeps all night already I really just have a "whatever works" attitude. Of course, some people give infants vodka or something in their bottle and I guess that works, but I definitely don't mean that. So, I guess it's more like "whatever is safe, and works" attitude.

Travis had 2 whole days off last week and it was really nice to spend time with him and catch up on things. I actually have and Alabama tag now. I'm sad. Amanda hung my Tennessee tag on her wall. Trav is going to get his tag this week, I'm not sure what we'll do with his.

Speaking of Travis, he has 3 days off this week from the restaurant, but will probably work 2 of those at Publix. I'll be able to spend Saturday with him though, so I'm excited about that. I think a trip to Chuck E. Cheese is in the works.

I'm sure I have much more to write, but I'll save that for another post.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I love Restoration Hardware...I am always picking things out too. Never have actually bought anything there.

Joyce said...

You always find the neatest places to shop! I never heard of this Restoration Hardware place.....

Amy Button said...

You'd love it! We'll have to go there when you guys come to visit.

Tisra said...

Amy, here's the link to my blog directly: http://lifetrain.blogspot.com since you were nursing Halle when we talked (I figured maybe you didn't write it down)

Talk to you soon, Tiz

Amy Button said...

I feel silly for not thinking about it sooner. I did check Fadely.net every week to see if you were posting yet, I'm a dork. I did check your blog though and feel much more caught up on daily Fadely life now.