Saturday, July 25, 2009

First Harvest

Back to happy thoughts. We've been sick since we got back from vacation and two full weeks inside the house gives me *way* too much time to think and get frustrated. Chloe missed the entire week of school last week. Sigh. But I think we've nearly conquered this thing and that will be nice. And maybe I'll get out of the house next week.

Here are my first two wee tomatoes. They're pretty and pear shaped...and they still taste like tomatoes. And I hate tomatoes. I tried one. I even chewed it up and swallowed it. And besides the tomato flavor it was, well, OK it was gross. And the slimy inside stuff...blech. But they're pretty and pretty counts. Thankfully Travis loves tomatoes and he said they were good. And I like cooked tomatoes and salsa so I still have hope.
And my mini cor carrots. One of them had actually gone to seed by the time we got back. I thought that the seeds would develop on the green stuff but nope. The carrots themselves get hollow inside and develop seeds. Overall the carrot thing was a bust but maybe I'll try again next year. And there's still basil growing and a pumpkin. Although I have yet to see any female blooms on the things. So we'll see. I'm sort of kicking myself for not growing cilantro. I picked up the package in the spring and really considered it but didn't get it. You have to have cilantro for salsa. So now I'll have to overpay for it at the store. Ah, but no worries. I'm resolved to not freak out about anything. And to get some fresh air. I think I need it.

4 comments:

Christy said...

that's so weird about the carrots - how they go to seed! i would have expected just what you expected. Hm.

Mary said...

My cilantro died on me so I didn't get any either. I LOVE cilantro. The carrots look pretty good even if they are a bit mini. We planted a few carrot seeds and I think the birds got some of them but we did have one little carrot that I let Owen pick a little early. He ate it with the green still on it so he could be like Bugs Bunny.

Can't wait to see the salsa come to fruition. I've always wanted to do that...grow my own ingredients for salsa.

Joyce said...

I didn't realize you were such a gardener! How cool! I have always wanted a garden with fresh veggies...I'll forgive you on the tomatoes (LOL)...They sure look cute!

Amy Button said...

OK Christy, I checked it out and from what I've found carrots seed in the second year. But how is that possible since you pull them up? Apparently they're biennial. I'm kind of confused about that...