Monday, September 24, 2007

God's Masterpiece

I was reading my Bible yesterday while Halle was napping and I was having the worst time focusing. I would read a couple of verses and my mind would wander- focus, wander, focus, wander- it was very frustrating. Finally I decided to read aloud and the words seemed to come alive.



God saved you by His special favor when you believed.

And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God.

Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done,

so none of us can boast about it.

For we are God's masterpiece.

He has created us anew in Christ Jesus,

so that we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (New Living Translation)


God's masterpiece. It's awe-inspiring and humbling all at the same time. I'm sure I've read that before but it's never struck me the way it did yesterday. Actually, the NIV version says that we are God's workmanship but the word masterpiece brings a whole new dimension to it. It makes me think of Leonardo DaVinci's Last Supper. But we are more than that. We are created in the very image of our creator. It makes me look at myself differently. To know that my creator looks at me as His masterpiece is truly an awesome thing.


3 comments:

Tisra said...

I love that when a verse you've read a bunch of times before comes to life in a completely different way, as though it is new! That's because God has a personal relationship with us, and doesn't stop speaking directly to us, the Word has life. I can't stop being amazed with the depth of God.

Mary said...

I know I just had a baby and I'm all emotional and hormonal but that really touched me tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Amy Button said...

Well, I didn't just have a baby and it touched me so maybe it's not just hormones :)