Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Moss Rose and Phlox that Chloe and I planted last week are growing nicely. A few weeks ago we bought some lemons with the intention of growing a lemon tree. After a doing a little research it seemed easy enough so we planted a seed, watered, and waited. And then...nothing. It was a little disappointing for both of us because, darn it, I really wanted a lemon tree! Actually, I still do and will probably order either dwarf seeds or an actual dwarf tree. Ooh, and while I was researching all of that I found this! I've seen a few Banana Trees here and in AL and wondered how they kept them alive; and now I know.

So, back to the flowers. You'd think with all of this plant talk that I'd just uncovered a dormant green thumb. Well, I don't know about that but I do want to do some constructive, learning type things with with Chloe during the day. And hey, seeds and dirt are really cheap. So thankfully, I chose two hardy, drought resistant types of plants. It will be at least two more months before we get any flowers and at some point I'm supposed to divide them. Divide them? Ugh! They're drought resistant but are they Amy resistant? Hopefully they are. But even if not Chloe is still excited that they sprouted. I guess that's progress.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isnt it too cold to be growing anything just yet? It's like 20 degrees here and the highs are in the low 40's......... I know it has to be cold in TN? Unless your doing it indoors? The bannana trees.... be carefull because they are a haven to poison spiders. Kris and I had one on the farm and he bull-dozed it over cause of all the black and brown recluse spiders that were living in it. Then we poured gas all over it and burned it down the tree itself.

Amy Button said...

It is too cold but they're growing just fine indoors. Wow, didn't know about the spiders. I'll have to consider that.

Unknown said...

When my mom worked in Nashville she had several (like 30-40) plants in her office. Everyday after lunch she would water them with her water cup that she used for lunch. In her water were left over lemon seeds from the lemon slices she used from lemons in her cup from lunch. Before she knew it she had all sorts of baby lemon trees growing in with her other plants. She never planted the seeds, they just cultivated all on their own. I tried to take one home and grow it myself, but unfortunately I don’t have the same green thumb that my mother has. This really has nothing to do with your story, but your story reminded me of my mother’s baby lemon trees. I don’t think anything came of the trees as she moved to Knoxville shortly after and left all her plants at work.

Mary said...

Wow...that post really coinsides with your Blog Title. So cool...I hope the planting works for you.