Friday, June 06, 2008

A Berry Good Night

Ah, yes, there's more to post about vacation but that is in the past and life keeps going so I'd like to post about the more recent past...and berries, I love berries.

Yesterday I went to Costco to restock the Button pantry and saw berries, lovely berries in the walk-in cooler section (which felt really, really good because it was really, really hot outside). So I picked up some strawberries and blueberries and a Grand Parisian salad mix. If you haven't tried one you should. It's a salad with a white balsamic dressing, candied nuts, craisins and feta-yum. My initial thought for dinner was to make burritos since it has actually been months since I've made them but we got home fairly late and I didn't think I had time. My brain had actually been clicking all day with a hankering for berry tea and I wanted to ask Tisra if I could take some lemon mint or mint lemon or whatever the heck she has growing in her garden but I left my cell phone at home and couldn't (but I plan to ask for some in the near future :) . Anyway, since the salad is kind of sweet anyway I thought that I'd add blueberries and strawberries to the mix and make berry tea and have a berry centric dinner-mmmm. So Travis took the girls outside to play on the slip-n-slide while I made the salad and some pan seared chicken breast and the berry tea. I'll spare you the details on all of the making but if you decide to boil berries and then need to puree them you should definitely *not* put them into the handy dandy new food processor your husband bought you for mother's day. If you do you will end up wearing nearly boiling hot berry juice and so will your kitchen. Use the blender instead.

So having finished preparing dinner, I made myself a plate, poured the berry tea into a turquoise goblet and went outside to have dinner. The weather was perfect, the sun had just set, the tiki torches were lit, there were two beautiful little girls running around in bathing suits on the slip-n-slide, there was a warm and humid breeze, the moon looked like a little sliver in the sky and the fireflies started putting on their show. I closed my eyes embraced by the breeze, breathed deeply and knew that it would be a great summer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMMM! Isnt that the best salad! I make it from scratch beacuse a lady I worked with back in Bartow would bring it in to our monthly meetings! Its great with the grilled chicken on top!!!! Yummy! You made me hungry thank you very much! Summer time is in the air and its electric!!!!!

Tisra said...

Ahhhhhhh. *sigh*

Christy said...

Niiiiice. You'll be so glad you can look back at this moment.....it sounds like an evening I would have really enjoyed too :)

Mary said...

That sounds delightful. Thanks for sharing.

I agree. I've had that feeling as well that regardless of all the horrible stuff that's going on in politics and elsewhere, we are going to have a great summer.