Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's Swimsuit Season!!

Yay! Well, or maybe not. I started out this year great guns doing South Beach and working out but got derailed with a detox program (yes, mentioned before) that in the long run is going to help me to not get sick so often but in the short term has caused me to get terribly out of shape. But since I'm feeling about 1000x's better than I have in months I'm ready to get back in the saddle and start working out again. Now, if you don't like working out you can skip this one, *but* I did find an incredibly helpful article on the mechanics of exercising and actually seeing results. I knew that using weights helped to speed up your metabolism by burning more calories (even when you're sleeping) than fat but it was kind of like yeah, I know that blah, blah, blah. But she tells you *how* much more it revs up your metabolism and that you can eat about 15% more without gaining weight, you sleep better, it helps to fight stress and depression and is just a good all around happy mood booster. I think not looking hideous in a bathing suit is probably all the happy mood booster I'll need...

3 comments:

Mary said...

Exercise. I'm taking the boys for a walk today. That's something...I'm sure it's not enough, but it's something.

Amy Button said...

Well, it's something. I'm sure we'd all like to be in bikini shape but whatever you do helps your heart. And taking 3 boys for a walk sounds like plenty of exercise to me :)

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'm pondering whether I can somehow get away with wearing pants and long-sleeved shirts all summer, even to the pool. My pale, flabby skin frightened me today when I put on a pair of capris, and I took them right back off again! This is what a long winter of sitting at the computer has done to me... :-)